Large-scale image-based 3D modeling has been a major goal of computer vision, enabling a wide range of applications including virtual reality, image-based localization, and autonomous navigation. One of the most diverse data sources for modeling is Internet photo collections. In the last decade the computer vision community has made tremendous progress in large-scale structure from motion and multi-view stereo from Internet datasets. However, utilizing this wealth of information for 3D modeling remains a challenging problem due to the ever-increasing amount of image data. In a short period of time, research in large-scale modeling has progressed from modeling using several thousand images, to modeling from city-scale datasets of several million, and recently to reconstructing an Internet-scale dataset comprising 100 million images. This tutorial will present the main underlying technologies enabling these innovations.
You might also be interested in our CVPR 2017 tutorial on large-scale 3D modeling.
Time: October 28, 2016 2:00pm-5:00pm
- Motivation and basic principles (PDF Slides)
- Building blocks of a 3D modeling pipeline
- Challenges and opportunities of using crowd-sourced imagery
- Large-scale visual data association (PDF Slides)
- Image registration
- Connected-component discovery
- Sparse modeling (PDF Slides)
- Structure-from-motion pipeline
- Challenges in Large-Scale Structure-from-motion
- Dense modeling (PDF Slides)
- Depth map estimation
- Depth map fusion and surface generation
jmf (at) cs.unc.edu
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
edunn (at) stevens.edu
Stevens Institute of Technology
jared.heinly (at) urcventures.com
Senior Research Engineer
Johannes L. Schönberger
jsch (at) inf.ethz.ch
- Johannes L. Schönberger, Jan-Michael Frahm. "Structure-from-Motion Revisited", CVPR 2016.
- Jared Heinly, Johannes L. Schönberger, Enrique Dunn, Jan-Michael Frahm. "Reconstructing the World* in Six Days *(As Captured by the Yahoo 100 Million Image Dataset)", CVPR 2015.
- Johannes L Schönberger, Filip Radenovi, Ondrej Chum, Jan-Michael Frahm. "From Single Image Query to Detailed 3D Reconstruction", CVPR 2015.
- Jan-Michael Frahm, Pierre Georgel, David Gallup, Tim Johnson, Rahul Raguram, Changchang Wu, Yi-Hung Jen, Enrique Dunn, Brian Clipp, Svetlana Lazebnik, Marc Pollefeys. "Building Rome on a Cloudless Day", ECCV 2010.
- Jan-Michael Frahm, Marc Pollefeys, Svetlana Lazebnik, Christopher Zach, David Gallup, Brian Clipp, Rahul Raguram, Changchang Wu, Tim Johnson. "Fast Robust Large-scale Mapping from Video and Internet Photo Collections", In special issue "100 years of ISPRS" of the ISPRS Journal of Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing.
- Enliang Zheng, Enrique Dunn, Valdimir Jojic, Jan-Michael Frahm. "PatchMatch Based Joint View Selection and Depthmap Estimation", CVPR 2014.
- David Gallup, Marc Pollefeys, Jan-Michael Frahm. "3D Reconstruction using an n-LayerHeightmap", DAGM 2010.
- Johannes L. Schönberger, Enliang Zheng, Marc Pollefeys, Jan-Michael Frahm. "Pixelwise View Selection for Unstructured Multi-View Stereo", ECCV 2016.